PAN-CANADIAN CALL-IN TO SUPPORT U.S. WAR RESISTERS IN CANADA
• FRIDAY, November 2nd, 2007 •
After the successful anti-war mobilizations this October 27 in cities in Canada, the U.S. and around the
world, supporters of U.S. War Resisters in Canada will be contacting key members of the federal government to demand that war resisters be allowed to stay in Canada.
Now that two opposition parties, the New Democratic Party (NDP) and the Bloc Québécois, support a provision for U.S. war resisters, it’s time to put pressure on the opposition Liberals and the minority
government of Stephen Harper to “Let them stay!”
On Friday, November 2nd, contact your Member of Parliament (M.P.) and these key members of government and lobby them to let the war resisters stay in Canada:
The Right Hon. Stephen Harper, Prime Minister:
Phone: (613) 992-4211
Fax: (613) 941-6900
The Hon. Diane Finley, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration:
Phone: (613) 954-1064
The Hon. Stéphane Dion, Leader of the Opposition (Liberal):
Phone: (613) 996-5789
Michael Ignatieff, Deputy Leader of the Opposition (Liberal):
Phone: (613) 995-9364
The Hon. Maurizio Bevilacqua, Opposition Critic for Citizenship and
Phone: (613) 996-4971
And contact your own Member of Parliament. (Note that on Friday November 2nd, they may be in their constituency office).
To find your local M.P., by your postal code or by name:
KEY QUESTIONS TO RAISE:
– will you or your party support a provision that will allow U.S. War resisters to stay in Canada?
– if yes, what will you do as a Member of Parliament to make sure this provision is adopted in the House of Commons?
– will you meet with members of the War Resisters Support Campaign and war resisters themselves to discuss this issue in person?
KEY POINTS TO HIGHLIGHT:
– a recent poll showed that over 64.6% of Ontario residents think war resisters should be allowed to stay in Canada – including a majority of Conservative and Liberal voters.
– Canada did not send troops into combat in Iraq because it was not sanctioned by the United Nations. Since we didn’t join the war, we should support the soldiers who refuse to participate in this illegal
and immoral war.
– U.S. war resisters face imprisonment, harsh treatment and even the death penalty if returned to the United States. No one should face this punishment and persecution for following international law and
refusing to participate in violations of that law.
– For LIBERALS, remind them of the Trudeau legacy of allowing Vietnam war deserters and dodgers to come to Canada.
– For CONSERVATIVES, remind them that in the 2007 poll of Ontarians, 53% of Conservative voters said “let them settle in Canada.”
– be polite, clear and concise.
– do not get upset or behave unprofessionally in any communications.
– represent the campaign well and communicate the main points to those you contact.
Please let the campaign know about your efforts – send us a report:
Produced and distributed by the War Resisters Support Campaign